Fire officials in Temple say an overloaded extension cord caused a fire in the kitchen of a home Wednesday afternoon.

The fire was discovered by the owners of the home in the 500 block of South 21st St. shortly after 3:30 PM. Temple Fire and Rescue dispatched a crew of 18 to the home, where firefighters discovered that the owners had extinguished the fire with a garden hose. No one was injured.

The fire caused an estimated $600 in damage and was confined to the kitchen.

Temple Fire and Rescue spokesman Thomas Pechal released a statement Thursday evening with the following tips:

· Plug microwave ovens or other cooking appliances directly into a wall outlet. Never use an extension cord for a cooking appliance - it can overload the circuit and cause a fire.

· Check electrical cords for cracks, breaks, damage, or overheating. Have a professional repair the appliance or cord as needed, or replace the appliance.

· Stay in the kitchen when cooking. If you leave the kitchen for even a short time, turn off the stove/appliance.

· Install and maintain smoke alarms in every home. Replace all smoke alarms when they are 10 years old.