Two families have been temporarily displaced after a fire at Temple's Canyon Creek Town Homes Monday afternoon.

According to Temple Fire & Rescue, a resident of the apartments at 1476 Canyon Creek Drive called 9-1-1 after smelling smoke and hearing a smoke alarm sounding in the apartment above theirs.

Firefighters were dispatched at 5:48 PM and arrived at 5:52 PM. Upon arrival, they saw smoke coming from an upstairs unit and began searching for the source. They discovered that the fire was the result of fiber insulation board that overheated after soldering work was done on an air-conditioning unit.

Fortunately, no injuries were reported. It's estimated that less than $3,000 worth of damage was sustained by the building. However, the occupants of both the upstairs and downstairs units will be staying with family until repairs are complete.

This is another example of smoke alarms saving lives and preventing fires getting worse. Please check yours and make sure it's working properly. It could save your life and those of your neighbors.

Temple Fire & Rescue