UPDATE: In a statement issued Wednesday evening, the Killeen Police Department identified the officer involved in this case as 5-year KPD veteran Officer Reynaldo Contreras. Contreras remains on administrative leave as the Texas Rangers investigate the shooting and KPD's Internal Affairs department conducts its own investigation.

Police Chief Charles Kimble wrote the following:

This incident is rightfully of great concern to the community. As Killeen Police Chief, it is my duty to ensure a thorough investigation is conducted so that all parties, including the public, have the answers they seek. There are many more facts in this case that are not publicly available at this time. I assure you that more information will be made available as soon as appropriate, and I ask for your patience as both investigations proceed.

Our partners at KWTX-TV report that Mr. Warren's family was told that a mental health deputy was not available at the time of the call, so Killeen officers were sent to their home instead. Warren was reportedly under a great deal of stress after losing his job due to the ongoing pandemic and the expiration of his life insurance policy.

On Sunday, January 10, the Killeen Police Department reported that an officer was involved in a fatal shooting at a home in the 1600 block of Carrollton Avenue. Few details were released, but police described the man who was shot as being in "emotional distress".

Today, civil rights attorney S. Lee Merritt released Ring camera footage from the home showing the moments leading up to the shooting and identified the slain man as Patrick Warren Sr.

The footage shows a Killeen Police Officer entering the house then stepping back outside and showing Warren coming out with his hands in the air.

According to Killeen Police Spokesperson Ofelia Martinez, the officer "entered the house and encountered an emotionally distressed man after using his conducted energy weapon, which was ineffective then discharged his duty weapon during the encounter striking the subject."

Reportedly Warren had mental issues and a mental health deputy wasn't available, so  Killeen Police officers were sent instead.

Merritt says that Patrick Warren asked police to leave his property after he greeted them, but after officers attempted to subdue him with a taser, he was subsequently shot by an unidentified officer who is now on leave.

Texas Rangers are currently investigating the case.

The family has started a GoFund Me account for funeral expenses.

You can see the video below. Be warned: while it's not exactly graphic, the footage is disturbing.

CHECK IT OUT: 100 sports records and the stories behind them

More From KOOC-FM