Suge Knight Officially Sentenced to 28 Years in Prison in Murder Case
Suge Knight's fate has officially been sealed. After accepting a 28-year plea deal from prosecutors in September in his 2015 murder case, stemming from the death of Terry Carter on the set of Straight Outta Compton, the former Death Row head was officially sentenced to the nearly three decade-long stint on Thursday (Oct. 4).
Suge's sentencing was carried out by Judge Ronald S. Coen who addressed victim's family before doling out the sentence. “If it hasn’t been said to you by anyone else, let me tell you that my heart goes out you,” he said to Carter's grieving supporters, according to the Los Angeles Times.
Suge had been facing life in prison if convicted for running over and killing Carter, 55, and injuring Cle "Bone" Sloan during an altercation while filming the N.W.A biopic at Tam's Burger in Compton, Calif. on Jan. 29, 2015. Knight initially pleaded not guilty of the crime, claiming self-defense. Less than a week before the trial we set to start, the former rap mogul struck a deal, entering a no-contest plea to voluntary manslaughter.
The lengthy 28-year sentence was given partially due to a 1997 felony conviction Suge already had on his record. He received an extra five years to his sentence because Carter's death was deemed a "serious and violent" felony. An additional year was tacked on due to his truck being a deadly weapon. As part of the deal, Suge will get credit for time served.
See 22 Hip-Hop-Related Police Raids