Poll: Seventy-Five Percent of Americans Choose to Cook Thanksgiving to Avoid Family
According to a survey by Shopkick, the fun and easy way to earn free gift cards while you shop, three in four respondents choose to cook the Thanksgiving meal to avoid their family for a few hours...is this true for you??? Read more Thanksgiving trends and vote!
Thanksgiving is a time to gather loved ones, give thanks, ...and reward yourself with a glass of wine and some solo time while prepping the big meal. According to a survey by Shopkick, the fun and easy way to earn free gift cards while you shop, three in four respondents choose to cook the Thanksgiving meal to avoid their family for a few hours, with the majority (54 percent) opting for grapes before cranberries, enjoying a glass of wine before the meal.
Recipes for Thanksgiving Success
In addition to a few rewards for the cook, there are some serious trends among Shopkickers:
- Thrifty Turkey: Thanksgiving doesn’t need to break the bank; half of those surveyed plan to spend less than $100 on the meal, even with 68 percent taking two to four trips to the grocery store!
- Only a Few Fryers: Traditional turkey reigns supreme; four in five will roast their bird, and only 10 percent will deep fry this year.
- Why Whip? More than half make pies from scratch (53 percent), but take a shortcut on the whipped cream. Four out of five people will use store-bought, with Cool Whip taking more of the pie than Reddi Whip.
- The Right Stuff: Every state’s favorite side is stuffing - except in Arizona, where they prefer mashed potatoes.
In the days after Thanksgiving, people start to emerge from the safety of their kitchen, with a full 86 percent planning on holiday shopping that weekend. Despite the growth in ecommerce, if forced to choose, more consumers like to shop in-person on Black Friday (29 percent) versus online on Cyber Monday (20 percent). The most popular plan is to shop on both days (37 percent).
A survey of 2,500 Shopkick users found some intriguing behavior:
Shopping for Thanksgiving Dinner:
- 75% of Americans cook the Thanksgiving meal to avoid family
- 54% open wine before the meal
- 4 in 5 (79%) will roast their bird; only 10% will deep fry this year
- 53% make pies from scratch, but take a shortcut on the whipped cream; 4 out of 5 people will use store-bought, with Cool Whip taking more of the pie than Reddi Whip
Post Thanksgiving Shopping:
- 15% of people surveyed don't cook because they are waiting for Thanksgiving to be over so they can get shopping
- 86% of all people surveyed are shopping after Thanksgiving
- 29% have a Black Friday shopping game plan
- 20% only shop online to avoid the crowds
- 37% will be shopping both Black Friday and Cyber Monday
About Shopkick, Inc.
Shopkick is the leading shopping rewards app, bringing moments of joy to everyday shopping - both on- and off-line. For brands and retailers, we provide high consumer engagement along the entire path to purchase. Our unique pay for performance model has been proven to deliver high ROI, driving incremental traffic, product visits, and sales. Some of our leading brand and retail partners include Best Buy, Clorox, Coty, eBay, GSK, Georgia Pacific, Hotels.com, Marshalls, Nestle, Purina, TJ Maxx and Unilever, among others. Shopkick is available for free on the iPhone from the App Store and for Android from Google Play.
Here are some other articles you might enjoy!
- Spend A Night In Jail, No Bail Money Needed! Check Out This Texas Cell Block Hotel! [Video]
- You Can Own This Haunted House For Sale In Mineral Wells, Texas
- Texas’ 13 Most Infamous Serial Killers, Spree Killers And Mass Murders (Part 2)
- Check Out The Cheapest House You Can Buy In Killeen! [Photos]
- 9 Random, Weird And Bizarre Facts About Texas [List]